Another day…another recipe for a casserole! I feel like it has been the summer of casseroles for me. They are easy to make, you can eat off of them for days, and it feels like comfort food!
Plus, it’s a little bit of a challenge to try and make them healthy. Casseroles usually have a ton of cream, cheese, bread, etc. in them. Working my way around ingredients that aren’t Ideal Protein approved has been a fun puzzle to figure out!
I think this casserole might be my favorite! I have made this Southwest Chicken Cauliflower Casserole twice over the past month!
The recipe is based on this chicken available at Aldi:
I love this stuff and always make sure I have a pack in the fridge. It can be used in so many recipes and no matter how you cook the chicken it stays moist!
Also, an important part of this recipe is enchilada sauce. More specifically a no sugar added enchilada sauce. You can always make your own – I like this recipe. However, I found Las Palmas Enchilada sauce at Wal-Mart that doesn’t have any sugar added either. So, depending on how much effort you want to put into it there are options! Enjoy!
Southwest Chicken and Cauliflower Casserole
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal
- 2 bags frozen riced cauliflower
- 1.5-2 lbs chicken breast
- 28 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2, 4oz can of green chiles
- Salsa for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large pan, cook chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare cauliflower rice according to the package. Allow to cool and place cauliflower rice in a kitchen towel. Wring all excess moisture out of cauliflower.
- Once the chicken is completely cooked, cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl mix cauliflower, chicken, egg, egg white, salt, pepper, green chiles, and enchilada sauce.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite salsa on top!
Nutrition: Calories 323, Protein 48g, Carbohydrate 15g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Total Sugars 6g, Total Fat 7g.