Guys…I think I may have one-upped myself with this one. This recipe may be better than the very popular Lettuce “Burritos” with Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
I have been trying to make the perfect cauliflower tortilla for a while now. Time after time they didn’t hold up. You couldn’t pick up the tortillas without them falling apart or they got weird when you refrigerated them. But, alas!! I finally got the right combination of ingredients…and for my fellow Ideal Protein folks out there, there is not a shred of cheese in them!
Here are a few tips and tricks that I recommend you use to get the perfect cauliflower tortillas:
1. Make sure to wring the cauliflower out! The less moisture you have the better they will turn out. Put the cauliflower on a paper towel, wrap it up, and get your aggression out!
2. Use folded parchment paper! I think rolled parchment paper is super annoying. No matter what you do, the stuff never lays flat. Recently, I found these pre-cut parchment sheets. They are the same price and work so much better!
3. Make the tortillas as thin as possible! My rule of thumb is to start with one large spoon full of mixture and spread it out. Then, you can add more from there. As long as you can’t see the bottom of the pan through the cauliflower mixture you should be fine.
4. This recipe makes 4 tortillas. I would make a couple batches if I were you! You can store them in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze them for later! Either way, make sure to put a piece of parchment paper in between each tortilla so they don’t stick. Then, store them in an airtight container or bag.
Past making the tortillas the rest of the recipe is a basic taco filling recipe. I have provided the ingredients and instructions on how I made my filling. But feel free to get creative!
And look…the tortillas hold up! You can pick them up! Also, I have made tostadas with them. Basically, anything you would make with a regular tortilla you could make with these.
Cauliflower Tortilla Tacos
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal
For the Tortillas:
- 12 oz of frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp parsley, dried
For the Taco Filling:
- 1 pound ground turkey (or beef, chicken, pork, etc.)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Rotel Chiptole, undrained
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- Pickled jalapenos
- Hot sauce
- (If you’re not on IP): Cheese, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cauliflower rice according to the package. Allow cauliflower to cool enough to handle.
- Put cauliflower into a paper towel and wring excess water out.
- Put “dry” cauliflower into a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Mix until combined.
- Arrange mixture into 4 tortilla shapes on the baking sheet. Making them as thin as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 9 minutes. Flip them over and bake for an additional 9 minutes.
- Fill with taco filling (directions below) and your favorite toppings and Enjoy!
- Brown ground turkey over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and Rotel tomatoes.
- Heat through and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Nutrition: Calories 456, Protein 65g, Carbohydrate 30g, Dietary Fiber 15g, Total Sugars 14g, Total Fat 12g.