I recently found a recipe for Low Carb Chili Dog Soup over on I Breathe, I’m Hungry. I had been wanting to make chili, but when you are doing the low carb thing chili can get kind of boring…you can’t add beans and cheese/sour cream are frowned upon (especially for those doing IP).
So, while I was making the recipe I decided to ramp up the soup with some veggies to make it more filling. I think I was pretty successful because I didn’t even miss the beans or the diary! And in case you were wondering….it does taste like a chili dog!
I think this is the perfect recipe just in time for fall – whether you make it as a quick evening meal or cook it in the slow cooker it will definitely warm you up!
Now, I know that hot dogs can be a no go on Ideal Protein Phase 1. However, I discussed the use of hot dogs with my coach. This recipe was one that I really wanted to make…and I was craving hot dogs. I hadn’t had them in probably over a year. My coach was ok with me using hot dogs for this one recipe. And as long as I didn’t eat hot dogs all the time, she felt that I would stay right on track.
So, I decided to do a little research. I wanted to find lean 100% beef franks with no fillers, etc. I found these:
These hot dogs are 100% beef with no nitrates, no preservatives, and no fillers. These meet all the marks and they are delicious. When making this recipe I suggest you find something similar.
What is your favorite fall soup recipe? I would love to hear about it in the comments!
Chili Dog Vegetable Soup
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal – Inspired by I Breathe, I’m Hungry
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 jar salsa (whichever is your favorite)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 4 hot dogs – sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Combine ground beef, salsa, tomatoes, green pepper, beef broth, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and hot dogs in a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. (Make sure to break up ground beef so you don’t just get huge chunks!)
- Add in tomato sauce, dijon mustard, and white vinegar.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with any toppings you like. Cheese, sour cream (if you do dairy), diced onion, etc.)
IP Note: This recipe will certainly meet your protein requirement for the day. To meet the vegetable requirement I would either serve with a salad or serve it over cauliflower rice.
Nutrition: Calories 332, Protein 31g, Carbohydrate 20g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Total Sugars 10g, Total Fat 15g.