If you can’t tell I am still on a pizza kick! I have continued on my search for good pizza alternatives. I was on one of my favorite blogs – I Breathe, I’m Hungry and came across this gem of a recipe: Chicken Crust Taco Pizza.
I know that for Ideal Protein cheese is a no go…and it’s hard to get around cheese when all you want to do is make pizza. So I decided to compromise and remove some of the cheese from the existing recipe. I talked to my IP coach and she agreed that this was a smart move. It’s not that cheese is bad for ketosis, but it does have a lot of fat. If you choose sharp cheeses like parmesan and cheddar the fat content will be lower and you will continue to have success while on Ideal Protein Phase 1.
I also removed all other types of dairy from the recipe like the sour cream and eliminated other sources of fat like the avocado. Here is my version of the recipe, I hope you all enjoy it!!!
Turkey Crust Taco Pizza
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal
For the Crust:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (or beef, chicken, etc.)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Diced tomatoes
- Lettuce (Add this on top once the pizza is done in the oven)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the ground turkey, parmesan cheese, and taco seasoning.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form turkey mixture into a thin layer. (I find the thinner I can get it the better it is!)
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dab up any extra grease on top with a paper towel.
- Add toppings. For the pizza in the pictures, I put a layer of salsa, jalapenos, and cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Remove pizza from oven and add any other toppings you may want.
Nutrition: Calories 385, Protein 59g, Carbohydrate 8g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Total Sugars 8g, Total Fat 13g.