Lately, I have been missing one of my favorite sandwiches – a steak and cheese. Philly or otherwise I love a good steak and cheese! However, when you aren’t eating bread it’s hard to fulfill this particular craving.
So, I decided to make a bunless – sort of deconstructed – steak and (maybe no cheese) version. 🙂 When I took the pictures for this post I decided to slip in a piece of provolone cheese, but it is equally delicious without the cheese. If I don’t do the cheese I usually add some hot sauce to spice up the whole thing. You could also serve this recipe in some lettuce leaves to make a steak and cheese “wrap.”
Bunless Steak and Cheese
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal
- 1 tablespoon, olive oil
- 2 teaspoon, garlic
- 1 package sliced mushrooms – button or baby portabello
- 1 teaspoon, salt
- 1 teaspoon, pepper
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pound, fully cooked, thinly sliced roast beef
Optional toppings: provolone cheese or hot sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until they have browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Then, add the sliced peppers and onions.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced roast beef and cook until beef is heated through.
- If you are adding the cheese, I recommend melting it under the broiler for about 5 minutes. If not, just plate up half the mixture and add some hot sauce on top and enjoy!
Nutrition: Calories 402, Protein 51g, Carbohydrate 22g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Total Sugars 8g, Total Fat 13g.