Last week at work my group hosted a dip party. Everyone was to bring their favorite dip to share. But what dip could I bring that I could enjoy? Most dips have cheese…all the cheese. I considered salsa, but that seemed boring! I was sure someone else was going to bring salsa anyway.
So, I did a Google search for vegetable based dips. They seem to be few and far between, but I came across baba ganoush – the delicious eggplant based cousin of hummus. I thought this would work perfectly! But, how could I put my own spin on it? I decided to add some zucchini that I also had in the fridge – and the results were so good! I served the dip with cucumbers and pretzels so folks would have an option. For the full recipe keep reading!
Roasted Zucchini and Eggplant Dip
Recipe by: Jamie Boden at My Beautiful Ideal
- 1 large zucchini (about 2 cups), skinned and halved
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 cups), skinned and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place skinned and halved eggplant and zucchini on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast eggplant and zucchini for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant and zucchini and allow to cool.
- Once cool, dice vegetables and place them in a blender or food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the remaining olive oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Slowly stream in remaining olive oil and allow to blend for 1-2 minutes until desired consistency is achieved. For a thinner dip, you may need more olive oil.
- Serve with cucumbers, celery, pita, chips, pretzels, etc. And Enjoy!
Tips: Store dip in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 1 week.
This recipe could also be used as a sandwich spread if you make a thicker consistency (use less olive oil).
Nutrition: Calories 75, Protein 0g, Carbohydrate 3g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Total Sugars 1g, Total Fat 7g.