For those of you that are interested in the recipe for the chicken shown in the last post, Roasted Asparagus, here it is! Those of you who follow the Ideal Protein Plan, this isn’t 100% phase 1 because there is some cheese involved. However, you could forgo the cheese or try some veggie cheese. Both options would be equally as delicious.
The recipe is inspired by one over on Skinnytaste. I made a few changes to make it more IP friendly – I removed the flour and butter. I just used a little extra olive oil and it still turned out ok.
Healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu
Recipe Inspired by Skinnytaste
- 4 thin chicken cutlets, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices low-fat ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a bowl, mix the chicken broth, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard together.
- In a large cast iron skillet (this is what I used, but any nonstick skillet would work) add the olive oil and brown the chicken 2 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Depending on the size of your pan you may have to do this in batches. If so, add half the olive oil at a time. Remove chicken to the side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the broth, lemon, and Dijon mixture. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and top with a piece of ham and piece of cheese.
- Cover the skillet and let simmer for 4 minutes.
- Serve with remaining sauce on top.
Tips: Serve with Roasted Asparagus.
Nutrition: Calories 345, Protein 52g, Carbohydrate 4g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Total Sugars 1g, Total Fat 11g.