I am always looking for a low-carb alternative to my favorite meals. Basically, anything with rice in it has been a struggle to find alternatives for. But, with the availability of frozen, riced cauliflower, my options have opened up quite a bit!
This time around I decided to tackle a low-carb Jambalaya. By adding extra veggies and using riced cauliflower I made a delicious, healthier version of this one-pot meal.
The recipe is pretty simple! In just around 30 minutes you can have a complete meal. Just cook all the individual pieces – sausage, shrimp, and vegetables. Then, bring them all together and serve with rice.
- 1 package andouille sausage (I chose one with no fillers, no diary), sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb raw shrimp (you can use fresh or frozen, peeled or unpeeled)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flake
- 1 bundle of asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- Riced cauliflower, prepared according to package
- In a large pan, cook sausage over medium/high heat for 7-8 minutes or until sausage is warmed through and starting to brown. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add shrimp and season with crushed red pepper flake and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook until shrimp are pink (around 5 minutes.) Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add asparagus and zucchini and season with 1/2 tsp salt, garlic, and ginger. Cook until vegetables are done (6-7 minutes.)
- Return sausage and shrimp to pan. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Serve hot with cauliflower rice.
Tips: You can make this recipe with any combination of vegetables. Also, to give an extra kick add some hot sauce. Also, for a true IP meal you can replace the sausage with chicken, pork, or beef.
Nutrition: Calories 424, Protein 24g, Carbohydrate 11g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Total Sugars 5g, Total Fat 32g.