Here is my favorite recipe! Since I started Ideal Protein, this has been my go-to meal. If I wasn’t sure what to cook, if I was extra bored with the Phase 1 protocol I would make these. Mexican food is definitely my favorite, but not very friendly for those on Ideal Protein. This recipe still gives me those Mexican flavors with plenty of vegetables and protein.
While these aren’t technically burritos, the addition of the cauliflower rice makes them feel hearty and filling. If you don’t want to make the cauliflower rice they can easily be turned into tacos by just using lettuce leaves and the meat mixture.
Also, as an added bonus, this is a 20-minute meal! A one pot, super quick, and easy to make lunch or dinner with simple ingredients.
You just brown the meat.
Add Rotel and taco seasoning.
Remove the meat mixture and start on the cauliflower rice.
Then, assemble and serve!
Lettuce “Burritos” with Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 1-2 pounds ground meat (I used a mix of beef and turkey, but you can use whatever you have)
- 1 can of Rotel, drained
- 1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 bag of frozen, riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Romaine hearts
- Pickled jalapenos
- Over medium-high heat, brown meat until cooked through. Drained excess grease from the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the Rotel and taco seasoning to browned meat. Mix to combine and heat through.
- Transfer finished meat mixture to a separate bowl.
- Add frozen, riced cauliflower to the pan. Cover and allow cauliflower to thaw for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salsa and heat through.
After you have made your meat and cauliflower mixtures you can assemble the meal however you want. You can make a salad, serve the meat over the rice, or make lettuce burritos like I have here.
For the lettuce burritos, pull leaves off the romaine heart and lay them on a plate. Fill the leaves first with the cauliflower mixture and top with meat. For extra heat, I like to add some pickled jalapenos. Depending on your Ideal Protein phase, etc. you can also add some shredded cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream, etc.
Nutrition: Calories 457, Protein 42g, Carbohydrate 13g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Total Sugars 6g, Total Fat 28g.