With the holidays upon us, many will be traveling to visit family and friends. But, what happens to your healthy lifestyle when you travel? Whether you are following the Ideal Protein protocol or another system planning is everything!
I travel every so often for work and I can remember the first time I traveled while on Ideal Protein. The panic was real! What am I going to eat? How am I supposed to stick with it? The meeting coordinators are providing food, what if it’s something I am not supposed to eat?
I had to take a step back and think about what I had control of. For example, I had control of the ideal protein foods I brought with me, the food I ate at the airport, and ultimately all of the food I put in my body. The only thing I didn’t have control of was the food provided at the meeting. When it came to that minor detail I was just going to have to make the best decision I could.
This fact is important not only for traveling but at any point while on a diet. Stick to your plan 99% of the time, but when the 1% comes up and you can’t stick exactly to the plan make the best decision you can!
No one will fault you for making the best decision you can. No matter what, you will always need to eat to keep your body healthy!
So, during that first work trip, I ate chicken wings, fried zucchini, and BBQ pork (the shock and horror I know!) 🙂 But, these were the best options at the time…I didn’t eat the pizza, I didn’t eat the potato skins, I didn’t eat the spinach artichoke dip. I choose the best protein and veggie option I had. And guess what? I survived! The rest of the time there were options that worked for me – yay salad! Did I lose the most weight I could have that week? Probably not! But I learned another important lesson – I have ultimate control of what goes into my body.
Besides, the two huge lessons highlighted above here are my tips for how to stick with your healthy lifestyle while traveling:
- Bring a water bottle with you. There are ice and water dispensers everywhere.
- You can carry powdered protein shake packets on the plane, but not the pre-made liquid. Make sure you know where you are packing your Ideal Protein products/buy packets accordingly if you aren’t going to check luggage.
- Take some workout clothes and sneakers with you. There is always a little bit of free time while traveling so go take a walk! Nothing too hardcore just something to keep you moving.
- If you’re attending a meeting and they ask about diet restrictions tell them you would like a salad option. Nowadays, people are better about providing a healthy option, but it won’t hurt to ask.
- Bring snacks that you can eat on the plane – whether you pack them at home or buy them at the airport. Peanuts and pretzels aren’t going to cut it. Get things like celery, broccoli, cauliflower, hard-boiled eggs, grilled chicken strips, etc.
- You can eat healthy at the airport too. Places like Subway and Chiptole are my go to.
- If you feel like you are being left out of a treat (like desserts or candy) try some coffee or tea. Sweeten either one with Splenda and it will feel like your own indulgence.
What tips and trick do you have for traveling and maintaining a healthy lifestyle?
Let me know in the comments below!