If you like a filling, spicy meal this recipe is for you. I stumbled across this recipe at Skinnytaste. I had already bought some of the ingredients for another meal and was trying to find something else to make with them.I liked the concept, but I wanted to make it little more Ideal Protein (IP) friendly.
The main changes are the use of cauliflower rice instead of brown rice, Sriracha instead of Gochujang, and a Splenda mix of brown sugar instead of regular brown sugar. Rice is not allowed on the IP protocol, Gochujang has a lot of sugar in it, and Splenda is better than real sugar for IP folks. I don’t even want to start my lecture about how great cauliflower rice is….because we could be here for days.
But, here is just a brief PSA. I really love the stuff and I can’t tell a difference between the cauliflower and the real stuff. It has really been a lifesaver for me while on the diet. It has even gotten better because frozen vegetable brands are getting on the bandwagon and selling riced cauliflower in the local grocery stores. At first, you had to rice your own cauliflower which is a total pain! Plus, the texture can still be kind of chunky with the fresh cauliflower rice. But, now you can find frozen riced cauliflower from Green Giant and Trader Joe’s.
Anyway, I will step down off my riced cauliflower soap box and walk through the recipe. It is super simple:
First, make the sauce
Second, brown the meat with garlic and ginger
Third, mix the sauce with the meat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Prepare the cauliflower rice according to the package
Arrange everything in the bowl.
And that is it! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Do you use riced cauliflower in any other recipes? Let me know in the comments!
Korean Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls
(Note: I doubled the recipe so I would have enough for the whole week, but you can adjust amounts accordingly.)
- 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons Splenda light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (you can remove these or put more depending on your desired spice level)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- Sriracha, amount to taste
- Sesame seeds, amount to taste
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Mix soy sauce, Splenda brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a bowl, put aside for later.
- Brown ground beef in a deep pan, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce you made in the first step over the beef. Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, prepare the cauliflower rice according to the package.
- To assemble bowls place cauliflower rice, ground beef mixture, cucumbers, sesame seeds, sriracha, and scallions into each bowl. You can add as much of each depending on the tastes of each person.
Tip: I also served mine with green lettuce leaves. That way you could make lettuce wraps with the mixture.
Nutrition: Calories 444, Protein 40g, Carbohydrate 11g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Total Sugars 3g, Total Fat 27g.